Jan 23, 2016

→ 20 facts about us ←



1. We are speaking up to 3 different languages per day (and with each other)



        

Even if we are both German, we speak up to 3 languages per day. Christian grew up bilingual, that means he speaks Dutch and German fluently. His parents just spoke German to him but since he went to a Dutch preschool/elementary school & high school he knows both. Most of his friends are Dutch (but also speak a bit German). When we're there, we are both speaking Dutch. Since I work as a Babysitter in American Families, I speak English with them. At home we both speak German. In school it's a mix between German & Dutch. 



2. My boyfriend is younger than me.



Yap, that's true! In the beginning I thought its awful to have a relationship with somebody who is younger than I am but I really got learned, that it is not bad at all. In fact, he is 1 year, 4 month, 1 week and one day younger than me. But seriously, you just have to feel comfortable with yourself and don't let others talk bad about man who are younger than yourself. In a good relationship age doesn't count at all! 





3. We both study German as a second language in the Netherlands. (and this is how we actually met)



It is kind of weird. We often get asked (especially me) why we study German as a second language when our mother language is German. Well, here is the explanation: I know that I don't want to live in Germany for the rest of my life, so I wanna become a teacher somewhere else in the world. I love to teach and I love the German language. So why wont I study it as a foreign language? It is just not regular, but what is these days? Christian decided last minute that he wanted to give it a try. He likes it as much as I do and we both happy that we met each other. We are having a lot of opportunities to get a job worldwide when we finished studying. In fact, I want to study English too (some when later) cause that is giving you even more chances in life! 



4. We share the same passion – travelling 



There is not a lot to say (but to see on our blog soon) about it! It makes you richer, a more relaxed person, a well experienced human being and of course a happier one!







5. We both don’t like partying on weekends. 


Well, there was a time we really loved it! But as time changes and you are right in the middle of studying, working, saving money and stuff there is not a lot of money left. The money we spend, we spend more or less wisely. We spend our money on FOOD and TRAVELLING. That is what it is worth for!





6. We like to read a lot – but we have to do it as well. 


Because of the fact that we study German as a second language, we have to read a lot German literature. In the first year of studying we had to read 10 teenager-Romans. In the second, now, we have to read 20 books. Since we already done with it and already wrote our essay, we started with literature for Adults; books like "Anne Frank Diary", "Maria Stuart (Schiller), or "Homo Faber" (Max Frisch). Thankfully we can choose by ourselves, what we want to read.



7. We cant find a sleeping routine – Christian loves to get up early, Michelle a morning grouch. 


The early bird gets the worm. (Mark Twain) That is totally fine with me. It is not that I never get up in the morning or that I can't get out of bed... it is just that... that I'd rather stay in my snugly bed all morning. I just allow myself to lie-in longer than others (like my boyfriend)




8. Our favorite food is French fries (Dutch ones are the best!)



Oh my gosh yes! It is so typical, I know, but it is just awesome. We are having dinner there ones a week. It is so cheap and we just have to drive about 2 minutes to get there. Did you ever had a "Schnitzel"? And what is your favorite food?







9.  We both kind of want to work out – at least once a week, but we just don’t do it.



Here they are. Supposed to be on my feet or at least near my feet. They are great for hiking and I used them a lot back in the days in California but in Germany with those shoes. Exercising? It's not the time yet.. not yet... 








10. We enjoy cooking together.




I think we both can say about ourselves, that we like cooking and that we are both pretty good chef's. I like the creative part about cooking like putting the food nicely decorated on a plate and Christian loves to experiments with meat and in general with everything we have.







11. Christian helped me learning the Dutch language – in only 6 weeks.


When I was back in Germany, I had to take a Dutch course (which was located in Cologne). After studying, I had to go there 3 times a week for 3 hours to learn Dutch. Since I needed to pass only 8 weeks later (course duration was 6 weeks). I wanted to improve my Dutch. Christian only talked Dutch to me, which was really hard in the beginning. But in the end, it was great because I passed my exam with great points!



12. Most of our free time we spend looking for good deals or flight tickets.



Actually we spend hours during the week just looking for flights and deals but in the end it's worth the time. We recently booked our flights to California (AMS via LONDON to LAX) and they were only 411$ pp !! We just have to make a quick stop in London for about an hour and then our flight goes all the way to LA. If you have any further question, let us know by leaving a comment 






13. We recently watched Prison break together. (A season a week)


Usually we dont spend a lot of time watching TV/watching series but this show is just too great to ignore. I usually hate shows filled with violence, pain and death but it caught me. Christian started earlier to watch it and I just jumped in. This is how we spent most of our free sundays lately. SO EXCITED that another season gets out this year!!! 



 14. We both didn’t care about school when we were younger.


That's not a really special fact, because who really did? Of course, they are always teenager who are really interested in politics, history or a modern language when they are in high school but we honestly had more important stuff to deal with during puberty. 



15. We are going to celebrate Spring break in Vegas this year!



Since a couple of days we are both 21, We are ready Vegas




16. Christian donates blood - so we can have a day off. 


 A special clinical centre offers if you donate blood to get a giftcard worth between 25-35 €. So we always choose the "Spa" one. We both get free admission for a couple of hours and free parking. So this is the deal. It's just perfect to have some "Off" time for a good cause.  Did you know that Germany donates 2,35 million liter every year?



17. We both already teach adults – to give them the opportunity to learn German.


Since our we study German as a second language and our motherlanguage is German, we're doing pretty good in school.This is why some language schools offered us jobs. Because recently they are a ton of young adults want to speak German but they aren't enough teacher to give them the chance to, we got the chance to help them!



18. After our school Christian studied “Physiotherapy” for a year, I worked in California for a year. 




If you guys want further information, just ask (comment box ♡) We are happt to answer all questions!



 




19. We are horrible singers (I don’t even know who´s worse) but we still do it every day as loud and as much as we can. And we LOVE it! (especially in the car)


Just check it out...
  



20. We live in different countries. 


We both live close to the border but Christian lives on the Dutch side and I live on the German side. It is no big deal, we cross the country border daily. Like when we go to school, to our internship, to work or to do fun activities together. We live about 35 minutes away from each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment